Most of us have experienced live cockroaches once in a lifetime at least once in the night’s middle when you sneak in the bedroom or kitchen. These scary, creepy creatures make you annoy and anxious as soon as you witness them.
Cockroaches are the omnivorous creatures which feed on meat and plants. They can feed on human flesh either in alive or dead form. They more commonly have the tendency to bite on feet, hands, fingernails, and eyelashes.
The cockroach bites can cause lesion formation, irritation or some swelling. However, remember cockroaches aren’t some aggressive creatures. They do not bite you in response to their defense when you step on them.
WHAT IS THE REASON OF COCKROACHES BITING THE HUMANS?
Cockroaches rarely bite living humans and I especially see them doing this act when there is extreme infestation at a place. When the food is available in limited quantity but the population of cockroaches is large, this makes the cockroaches feed on humans. Cockroaches do not bite the humans if food sources are easily available such as exposed food or garbage cans.
WHEN DO THE COCKROACHES BITE HUMANS?
These timid creatures do not bite the humans when they are awake. These cockroaches only bite the humans during the night time when they are asleep and still. During the nighttime, the cockroaches can bite and feed through the skin of the humans.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF COCKROACH BITE?
The cockroach bite results in a red bump formation which is comparatively larger than the mosquito bites. The tiny clusters appear as bumps over the skin rather than one or two mounds over the skin surface. Rashes and swelling might also occur with the cockroach bite. You need to stay calm whenever you find someone who has experienced the cockroach bite. The cockroach bite is not venomous which means it is not dangerous to health.
WHAT ARE THE SIGNS OF COCKROACH BITE?
Cockroach bite can, however, transmit several bacterial infections because it carries many bacteria. cockroach bites can cause different allergic reactions especially in patients who are asthmatic or undergo different situations:
- When an individual has a weak immune system, the proteins present within the saliva of the cockroach, body and the feces result in an allergic reaction.
- The contact of the cockroaches with the skin can also result in an allergic reaction.
- The allergens present over the wastes and cockroach’s body can cause an allergic reaction.
- contact of cockroaches with the body can cause an allergic reaction.
Also Read: DO LADYBUGS BITE?
WHERE DO YOU FIND COCKROACHES BITING ON HUMANS?
Some people have seen severe cases of cockroach bites at the sea over the ships. Some people report having bit by the cockroaches where they saw skin and nails gnawed. The American cockroach species i.e. Periplaneta American and Periplaneta Australasiae are mostly seen on ships biting the humans. German cockroaches bite the humans.
INFECTIONS AND DISEASES THAT MIGHT OCCUR DUE TO THE COCKROACH BITE:
The cockroach bite does not result in bacterial infections directly. It spreads the bacterial infections by contaminating the food sources which become the source of disease. They should make a proper investigation for Cockroach infestation. If you find food or other items that infested with cockroaches then sanitize those stuff or try to dump them.
Cockroaches can transmit the following infections:
- E Coli
- Poliomyelitis virus
DOES THE COCKROACH BITE RESULT IN PAIN?
Cockroach bite occurs on very rare occasions, but if it does, the bite can cause the painful feelings. The pain feeling associated with the cockroach bite depends on the level of tolerance you have. Someone feels a twinge, pain or discomfort whenever the cockroaches bite. However, this pain ends within a few seconds.
Cockroach bites are painful even when they bite with a smaller scale. The cockroach bites can be stronger around 50-60 times when compared to their body weight.
WHAT IS THE TREATMENT FOR COCKROACH BITE?
Follow the treatment protocol for cockroach bite:
- Properly clean the area of cockroach bite and wash with the help of soapy water. Properly disinfect it to avoid any bacterial infection. Alcohol serves as the best disinfectant for cleaning the area of a cockroach bite.
- First, pinch the area of cockroach bite which forces all the bacteria out from the bite area. Make use of the cotton swab and dab a small amount of alcohol over it.
- If you observe signs of infection associated with the cockroach bite, you must consult the doctor for proper treatment. Pus, discoloration or swelling associated with the cockroach bite might need an antibiotic treatment.
- The cockroach bite area is usually itchy, but avoid scratching it and make use of calamine lotion, hydrocortisone or aloe which aids in controlling the itchiness.
- Cover the cockroach bite area to prevent the spread of infections and allow the area to heal.
PREVENTION TIPS FROM THE COCKROACH BITE:
The tips to prevent the cockroach bite include the following:
- Seal all the garbage cans and food containers
- Maintain cleanliness in your house, kitchens, doors, stoves, sink, and counters.
- If you observe cockroach eggs, remove them or treat them with the help of insecticide.
- Fix all the leaks in all home which serve as the hiding places for the cockroaches.
- Avoid accumulating the piles of laundry, newspaper, dirty dishes or magazines.
AVOID THE COCKROACH BITE:
Cockroaches only bite the humans when the food source is scarce. If you observe the cockroach infestation at home, avoid eating in bed. You might offer a strong invitation for cockroach bite if you have food residues left over the fingertips or mouth especially. The cockroaches usually approach the room when the lights are off. Other than these methods, you can take proper care of cockroach infestation either on your own or call a professional exterminator.